The 2014-2015 Common Core State Standards (CCSS) deadline will be here before we know it, and as educators, we all understand the major undertaking of creating new lesson plans to promote the standards.
With this in mind, were guessing your school is seeking new software and platforms to help you and your fellow curriculum coordinators and teachers create Common Core lessons to better reach your digital native students.
The digital content conundrum
But, heres the catch: finding digital resources that actually assist in lesson plan creation can be extremely difficult!
Have you ever delved into educational technology products that claim to be centered on certain state standards, but find its nearly impossible to decipher how the content actually helps you teach the standards?
We have, and it just makes developing lesson plans a much harder and longer process. There is already too much on educators plates to be wasting time searching through school-provided electronic content for bits and pieces here-and-there to use in their lessons.
How to find the best digital content for your lesson plans
Instead of just grabbing digital resources that claim to offer Common Core content, schools can enhance and strengthen their teachers' ability to create lesson plans by acquiring content/resources that offer the following traits (in addition to the basic content):
- Easy-to-read, printable scope documents that list the concept(s) and direct Common Core standard(s) each resource aligns with
- The ability to digitally assign and customize individual resources and assessments to tailor lesson plans to each standard and each students need
- New, innovative resources built around the Common Core standards, not 'repurposed', old material from previous state standards and textbooks
- Digital analytics that are:
- specifically organized to show each students progress and mastery of the Common Core standards
- presented in easy-to-read graphs and charts that are reported directly to the teacher and administrators at the click of a button or touch of a screen
Don't worry, effective digital lesson plan supplements do exist!
Believe it or not, these digital content traits are not just ideal dreams either. Take a look at the video below to see how curriculum-friendly Common Core platforms can be used to enhance and supplement mathematics lesson planning.